This page is a place to post helpful resources for students. As you find interesting websites, academic databases, videos, etc., add them to this page. If your resource doesn't fit into one of the preexisting categories, feel free to create a new category.
Digital Composing Tools
"Free, open source, cross-platform software for recording and editing sounds."
"Aviary is a suite of powerful creative applications that you can use right in your web browser. We're on a mission to make creation accessible to artists of all genres, from graphic design to audio editing."
"cloud-based presentation software that opens up a new world between whiteboards and slides."
File Lab is an online video and audio editor.
"One-click screen recording on Windows or Mac with no install for free"
Handbrake is a powerful cross-platform, free ripping and transcoding tool.
Digital Research Tools
"The easy way to download and convert Web videos from hundreds of YouTube-like sites. This works also for audio and picture galleries."
"One of the more useful components of Voyeur is that it allows researchers to analyze both a corpus of documents or individual sources."
"The Digital Methods Initiative is a contribution to doing research into the "natively digital"...the focus is on how methods may change, however slightly or wholesale, owing to the technical specificities of new media." The site may cause your browser to issue a security warning because of an alleged security certificate problem. As far as I know, the site does not present a security problem.
"[A]llows you to download a...site from the Internet to a local directory, building recursively all directories, getting HTML, images, and other files from the server to your computer." Windows, Mac, Linux
"This site is set up to allow the entire internet community to upload data, visualize it, and talk about their discoveries with other people."
"Project Bamboo is currently piloting a directory of tools, services, and collections that can facilitate digital research. This evolution of Lisa Spiro's DiRT wiki includes new ways of browsing and commenting on the entries."
Site Sucker is a donationware site ripper for Mac or iOS.
Wget is the Swiss Army knife of internet download managers. It has a cameo in The Social Network about ten minutes in.
One of Dr. Loewe's favorite diff tools for Windows
A quick online diff tool
How to Read Difficult Texts
- eServer Rhetoric and Composition
- Dr. Loewe's Library (updated sporadically)
- Dr. Loewe's Bibliographies (updated sporadically)
- WikiBooks portal on the history of Rhetoric
- College English
- College Composition and Communication
- Computers and Composition
- Computers and Composition Online
- Technical Communication Quarterly
- Rhetoric Society Quarterly
- Quarterly Journal of Speech
- Rhetoric Society of America
- National Council of Teachers of English
- Association of Teachers of Technical Writing
- Council of Writing Program Administrators
- Association for Business Communication
- Society for Technical Communication
- Rhetoric & Communication Research Network
- The New Adventures of Stephen Fry
- The Web of Language by Dennis Baron
- It Figures - Figures of Speech
- Digital Digs--Alex Reid
- Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy